Charles Thieman Lane

May 19, 2009 at 9:38 am (Lane Roots) (, , )

Charlie Lane by you.

Charlie Lane

Sixth child and fifth son of David and Mary Lane.

Charles Thieman Lane, born 24 Jun 1910 in Hayes County, NE.  Charles was raised at various locations in Nebraska before the family got settled on the ranch in Arthur.  Certainly sibling rivalry is nothing limited to current times.  As the “baby” in the family, with a couple of domineering older brothers and his sister giving lots of orders, Charles always remembered some rough times in childhood.  “Annie kept getting after me about learning my times tables,” Charles said in 2007.  “But maybe I was too busy watching the squirrel sneak into the classroom through a hole in the sod wall.  We were in double seats, Wayne Rook (a ranching neighbor boy) and I were in the same seat and sometimes it was hard to pay attention to my studies.”
 
There were no telephones in those days, so when Charles and his neighbor and classmates, the Rook boys, wanted to plan some fun, Charles would have to ride his horse the mile to the Rook ranch, the boys would plan the activity and get parental permission — if chores would get done first — and then the activity would be the following day.  A favorite in the summer, either with the Rook boys or with brother Orlie, would be a day in the soft sand at the top of “Old Raggie Top” (a landmark hill on the ranch).  Blowouts were areas where vegetation wouldn’t grow, usually because of wind erosion or overgrazing or repeated vehicle traffic.  Not often would there be a blowout on the top of a hill, but there was on Old Raggie Top, and the sand in that blowout made a fine play area.
 
However, Charles did remember, years later, some problems getting to the top of that hill — “a big old white-faced bull, right on the path where we wanted to go.”  All ranch children had a healthy respect for bulls.  Charles said that anything a bull feels it can dominate, which includes kids, the bull will try to dominate.  And if you wore any red, that would aggravate the situation even more.
 
Other recreation came on Sunday afternoons.  Church service was at the school house, but in good weather, if it wasn’t harvest time, there were potluck dinners following church at a nearby ranch.  That was the community social life … that and the Saturday night dances, with music by a harmonica player, who sometimes ended up playing all night long.  (No recorded music nor portable boom boxes existed back then.)
 
For his 7th and 8th grade years, Charles attended the one-room schoolhouse nearest the ranch while helping there on the ranch with the family.  His father hired a teacher named John F. Coles with the understanding that Mr. Coles could teach Charles the approved 9th grade classes without having to go away to high school.  That didn’t work out; the following year when Charles went to the town of Arthur to board and attend high school, they wouldn’t accept any of his ninth-grade credits (algebra was a snap the second time around, though).  The first few months in Arthur, Charles boarded in a blacksmith shop, literally, doing chores which included raking cobs in the pig-pen.  As the weather began to cool, it was obvious the blacksmith’s shop was not suitable living quarters, so other arrangements were made and Charles joined some other students who roomed with Mrs. Martin in a baled hay house for the remainder of his four years, graduating from Arthur County High school in 1930 and from Kearney State Teacher’s College (now University of Nebraska at Kearney) at Kearney, NE with a bachelor’s degree, graduating in 1936.  Charles said it took 5 years at college because of his full-time work schedule with the college farm.  Brother Oral had worked for the college farm first, but when Oral decided to go to California, he set Charles up with the job.  No milking machines in those days, so Charles had to milk from 5 till 7 a.m. and 4 till 6 p.m. daily, even though the herd was typically only 8 cows.  Then there were the related chores of cleaning the milking equipment, driving the truck down to the cafeteria at the women’s dorm to deliver the milk, and occasionally helping with the pigs in the next field or managing the hay mows to avoid weather damage to the three or four cuttings a year from the adjacent alfalfa fields.
 
After graduation, Charles taught all grades at a one-room school house in Arthur County for the 1937-1940 academic years, until his parents asked him to come to Sandy, OR to help them at the Rose Cafe in 1940.  It was County School District #34J, which had been taught by Charlie Wilson for the 1935-36 school term, following on the heels of Dorothy Temple, who taught there for the 1932-33 year, with 19 students, and the day classes were done, May 12, 1933, she married Reuben Carlholm.  The Carlholms remained neighboring ranchers to the Lanes for many years.
 
Charles remembers having a school “band” with whatever instruments were available, including drums, horns, a fife, piccolo, ukulele and a simple wind instrument similar to the “recorders” later used in many elementary school music programs.
 
Charles married on 21 Feb 1942 in Sandy, OR to Nellie Arlene [Clapp],  fifth oldest of eight children of Ross and Amanda Clapp.  Nellie was born 9 Apr 1923. The Clapp family was originally from Watertown, S.Dak. and moved to Sandy, OR in 1938.   He helped found a volunteer fire department for the city of Sandy.  Charles served in the U.S. Army 4th Infantry Division as a front-line medic in the European Theatre in World War II, 1944-1945, returning to Sandy, OR to work for the local school district for 32 years, primarily as teacher/principal at the grade school. 
 
Charles said, in 2006, “I believe competitive sports were introduced into Sandy Elementary School in the early 1940s and a county league was formed.”  This Clackamas County League was made up of several schools about the same size as Sandy, including Estacada, Colton, Mollala, Concord, Gladstone, Willamette, Sunset, and others.
 
In addition to being the eighth-grade teacher and head teacher, he at times also served as bus driver, Scoutmaster of Troop 248, coach for boys’ baseball and basketball and girls’ softball and volleyball; student council advisor, and school activities coordinator.  In this later role, he helped establish eighth-grade banquets, grade school graduation exercises, an annual masquerade party, and an annual miniature “hot rod race.”
 
About 1957, after all three daughters were in school, they moved from a home near the west end of Dunn Road to 310 Hood Street, a few blocks from the grade school in Sandy.  About 1979, after the daughters all had married, Charles and Nellie moved again, two blocks distant, to a larger home at Hood and Scales Street, where they remained for nearly 25 years.  After retiring from the public school system, Charles worked part time for 13 years as a lab supervisor in the jewelry-making facility at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, 1976-1988.  His hobbies of rock-hounding and jewelry making were combined to produce many hand-made items with semi-precious stones and inlayed enameling; one of his specialties was a jewelry form known as cloisonné.  Their three daughters each followed Charles’ profession of teaching. Both Charles and Nellie are still living as of 2007, at CherryWood Retirement Center in Portland.

Permalink Leave a Comment

David Oral Lane

May 19, 2009 at 9:34 am (Lane Roots) (, , )

Fifth child and fourth son of David and Mary Lane.

David Oral Lane, born 19 Apr 1906 at Maywood, Frontier County, NE.  It was primarily Oral and his father who built the “baled hay house” on the Arthur County ranch.  Various ones in the family lived in that house through the years; it was still standing in 2007 and was always the “central stop” on tours to the ranch with various grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
 
Oral married on 28 July 1937 near Warrensburg, MO to Mary Alice Ross (she was born 15 July 1917 at Friend, Saline County, NE, the daughter of Henry W. Ross and Marjorie M. [Gavin]).  They raised four children, initially at Lewellen, Garden County, NE, and later at Boring, Clackamas County, OR.  Oral died 25 Oct 1992 at Boring and is buried at the Sandy Ridge Cemetery, Sandy, Clackamas County, OR.  For many years Mary worked at Heidi’s, a popular family restaurant near their home on Highway 212, Boring.  Mary is still living (in 2007) in a retirement center in Sandy.  [Also in 2007, two of her younger sisters, of the family of 7 children, also were still living, Bertha Dana in Hebron, NE and Marjory Weidel in Osborn, KS.  As a note of possible interest, the Gavin family purportedly traces its roots to a knighted Scottish clan, according to the Clan MacFarlane Society, Inc.]

Permalink Leave a Comment

Anna Pearl Lane

May 19, 2009 at 9:32 am (Lane Roots) (, , )

Fourth child and only daughter of David and Mary Lane.

Anna Pearl Lane, only girl in the family, was born 23 Jan 1904 near Table Rock, Pawnee County, NE.  After high school, Anna completed the “normal school” sequence for licensure to teach and moved to Wyoming as a teacher.   That is where she met William Rolley Quick and they married on 30 June 1925 at Jewelsburg, Sedgewick County, Colo.  (Bill was born 23 Mar 1900 in western S.Dak.  After Anna’s death, he remarried to Almeda Stoddard.  He died 13 Aug 1970 in Keith County, NE.  The Quick family originally came from Denmark and for many generations were in the New York area, including a Quick among the early governors of New Jersey, but by the 1900s most of Bill’s near-relatives were in the Deadwood area near the Wyoming-South Dakota line.)  They raised four children, living at times back and forth between Nebraska and Oregon.  When living on the ranch in Arthur County, about 1946-47, they excavated by horse-drawn scoop and built an underground house [son Melvin said he did the excavation, using a “slip” designed for use with a two-horse team, rather than the larger “fresno” style scoop used by commercial excavators with a four-horse team].  Anna died 2 Feb 1961 and is buried in the Ogallala, Keith County, NE cemetery.

Permalink Leave a Comment

William Frank Lane

May 19, 2009 at 9:28 am (Lane Roots) (, , )

Third child and son of David and Mary Lane.

William Frank Lane, born 3 Apr 1900 at Barada, Richardson County, NE.  He married on 3 April 1922 at Broken Bow, Custer County, NE to Maggie Gertrude Dancer.  She was born 23 Jan 1901 in Wallace, Lincoln County, NE, the sixth child in a family of 10 children of Elias Ford and Florence [Grove] Dancer.  The town of Wallace is about 20 miles north of Hayes County, into Lincoln County, where the family resided for many years.  As recorded in the federal land office then-located at Broken Bow, Elias F. Dancer was issued a patent on 17 Dec 1915 for a 480-acre homestead in Arthur County, NE
 
Thinking back nearly a century later, little brother Charles characterized Frank’s childhood in the phrase “he was the bad boy” in the family.  Once, as Charles recalled it, Frank and a cousin, either Jake Lane or Wesley Lane, took the teacher’s horse-buggy and managed to perch it on top of the barn.  [David Lane’s brother Robert Frank Lane’s family lived nearby, with their four children, Wesley, Byron, Jake, and Daisy.]
 
When the family lived in Broken Bow, Frank worked in a Dodge garage.  The family moved to Lincoln, NE in 1939 so the older children could attend high school.  They raised three children.  While in Lincoln, Frank did some commercial truck driving and Maggie worked at Montgomery Ward .  Frank and Maggie returned to the ranch in Arthur County from 1942-1950.  Younger brother Charles still bristled years later in recalling his childhood disappointment that this big brother who gave him a bad time in younger years was now coming back and getting a big share of the cattle, harnesses, and farm equipment.  But Charles had to admit that “Frank did settle down to ranching and had several good years in cattle.”   Then Frank and Maggie moved in to town, Ogallala, where Frank operated the Texaco station at the east side of town for many years.
 
Melvin remembers his Uncle Frank as fostering competitiveness in the children’s playing ─ whether it was checkers or sand-lot softball, Melvin was not to be lenient and let younger brother Ray or cousin Sam win if they could be beaten.
 
By 1958 Frank and Maggie retired to Mesa, AZ and spent summers traveling the U.S. ─ they worked in Yellowstone Park one summer and had their summer home in Durango, Colorado; later a summer home in Lakeside, Arizona; and several summers were spent on a college campus in Rexburg, Idaho.  Frank died 11 Apr 1992, only a few days after a large family gathering to celebrate the couple’s 70th wedding anniversary.  After his death, Maggie moved to the Citadel Apartments in Mesa until 1999, when she moved to the Mi Casa Care Center.  She lived to age 103, dying 13 Oct 2004.  They are entombed together at Mountain View mausoleum across Main Street from their home of many years, Mesa Dunes Retirement Park (originally known as Clarke’s Sunny Acres when they first started wintering in Mesa), Mesa, AZ

Permalink Leave a Comment

Walter Andrew Lane

May 19, 2009 at 9:22 am (Lane Roots) (, , )

Second child and son of David and Mary Lane.

Walter Andrew Lane, born 25 Jan 1897, died as an infant 16 Mar 1898, and is buried at Barada, NE, a farming community in Richardson County on the west banks of the Missouri River.  The gravestone at the main cemetery in the town has the name “WALTER” in larger letters at the top and “son of David and Mary Lane” in smaller letters beneath.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Next page »